Just in case you are wondering, ”what in the world is a taquito?!?!” Let me be the one to educate you :
A taquito is a small rolled up tortilla which contains a filling of beef, chicken or cheese. Could be vegetarian as well. It is the fried or oven baked and could be topped with condiments such as salsa (kachumbari) , guacamole, sour cream or a mayonnaise dressing.Wikipedia
They serve as the perfect snack when you just feel like having something to eat but are not ready for a long cooking process! You could make them in plenty and store them in the freezer.
I love how the chicken and cheese goes with this, it is super delicious and so easy!! It will have people thinking you are a master chef!! haha, so let’s get to the recipe…
Prep time: 10 min
Cook time: 5min
- 400gm shredded chicken
- 100gm cheddar cheese
- 4 corn tortillas
- Half a bunch of lettuce (shredded)
- Guacamole/ Salsa/ Sour cream
- 1/4 tspn cumin
- 1/4 tspn spanish paprika
- 1 tspn salt
- Cooking oil
- In a bowl, add the shredded chicken, cumin, salt & paprika. Toss together to combine.
- Cover the tortillas with a damp paper towel and warm them in the microwave for about 30 seconds.
- On each tortilla, place a handful of chicken, making sure not to over do it.
- Followed by some cheese.
- Roll the tortilla tightly and secure it from falling apart by using two toothpicks along the seam as below.
- In a deep skillet,pour in enough oil to reach at least halfway up the taquitos. Heat oil and once the oil is hot, add the taquitos.
- Fry on both sides for about 1 minute on medium heat until golden brown.
- Once ready, transfer to a plate lined with paper towel so as to soak up the excess oil.
- Remove the toothpicks and serve with your preferred condiment.
Thank you for reading this post fam, see you on the next!