I am just here to testify the goodness of this recipe!! I couldn’t believe it myself. So a little backstory on how I got this idea, I asked a very close friend of mine, called Alexia (Thank youu! if you are reading this) for ideas I can do with butternut and she suggested this. I was super excited to try it out because I love butternut, and the idea of stuffing it with toppings of my choice!
The good thing about this recipe, is that it quite easy and really worth the time it takes to prepare it. Let me not bore you with too many stories but instead bless you with this golden recipe that will come in handy for you!!
- 1 Butternut Squash
- 200g minced beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, crushed
- Half a bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 sweet corn, boiled
- Chopped coriander, for garnish
- 2 tspn paprika
- 2 tspn cumin
- 1/4 tspn cayenne pepper
- 2 tspn black pepper
- 100g Cheddar / Mozarella cheese, grated
- Cooking oil
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius
- Slice the butternut squash in half length ways. Scoop out the seeds. ( Do not throw them away, they could come in handy later as a snack)
- Season the squash halves with salt and black pepper.
- Spread some cooking oil on each squash and place flesh side down, on a baking tray.
- Bake until the butternut squash feels soft to touch through the skin, this should take about 25-30 min depending on the size of the squash.
- Once done, remove and allow to cool. Then scoop out some of the flesh so as to make hollow butternut squash enough to top with fillings. ( Don’t overdo it, you do not want your squash to fall out )
- Set the flesh aside for later.
- Meanwhile, in a pan with cooking oil, add onion & garlic. Saute till softened and fragrant. Add bell pepper, carrots, butternut squash flesh and cook for about 2 minutes. Then add the sweet corn and cook everything for a minute. Season with a pinch of salt and set aside.
- In a separate pan with cooking oil, add minced meat and cook till it browns. As it cooks, add the spices and salt. Once ready, add in the vegetables and stir everything together.
- Spoon the mixture into the squash halves, top it with cheese and pop it back in the oven for about 10 min. until the cheese is melted.
- Once done, serve with chopped coriander and enjoy!
Thank you for reading this post fam, see you on the next!