Spaghetti is usually one of those foods that everyone knows how to make because it is just boiling them in hot water… lol, quite simple right?
What you accompany the pasta with is usually the determinant of the meal. These meatballs in tomato sauce will change the way you make yours! You have my word. It is so delicious,simple and filling. This is a meal that you can cook in plenty and even if some remains, you could warm it for lunch the following day. That is if you manage to leave some behind nevertheless how scrumptious they are!! Alright, alright.. enough talking… here is the recipe to this masterpiece of a meal!
Prep time: 10 min
Cook time: 35 min
- 1 packet of spaghetti
- 2 freshly grated tomatoes
- 500 gm of minced beef
- 3/4 tspn tomato paste
- 1 finely chopped onion
- 1 tspn black pepper
- 1 tspn salt
- 1 tspn garlic powder
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- Chopped cilantro / dhania
- 100gm grated cheese (Parmesan)
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 beef cube
- Vegetable oil
- Add the minced meat to a bowl. Then add black pepper, salt, cheese, & garlic / garlic powder.
- Mix all the spices & cheese into the meat.
- Once mixed properly, start rolling the meat into balls.
NB: Your meatballs should all be the same size, so that they all take the same amount of time to cook. If others are bigger than the rest, it means… different cooking duration! You can use an ice cream scoop to get even sizes of the balls.
- When forming the meatball, press the meat for about 30 seconds between your palm and fingers then roll it gently. This will keep the meatballs from breaking as they cook.
- Once all balls have been rolled, coat the meatballs in flour. Shake off any excess flour.
- In a pan, add oil and once hot enough, add the meatballs. Let the meatballs brown on each side. Immediately they brown, take them out and set aside.
NB: Do not eat the meatballs at this point, they are not fully cooked!
- In the same pan, on medium heat, add some oil and once hot add the onions.
- Add minced garlic and let it saute for 30 seconds.
- Add tomato paste and stir as well.
- Add the grated tomatoes, beef cube and water bit by bit as you stir.
- Into the sauce, add in the meatballs until they are submerged in the sauce.
- Cover with a lid and let it cook for 30 minutes on medium low heat. ( If the sauce thickens too much, add a little bit of water and stir)
- Once done cooking, garnish with chopped coriander.
As the meatballs cook, prepare the spaghetti…
- Boil water in a sauce pan, once it is boiling hot, add salt, as salty as the ocean.
- Add the spaghetti whole without breaking it.
- 12 minutes later, the pasta should be ready. You can test this by taking one and throwing it on the roof… if it sticks, it is ready 🙂
- Drain the water and add the cooked spaghetti to the meatball sauce. Mix it gently so that you do not break the balls. Garnish with some extra cheese!
Serve and enjoy!
Thank you for reading this post, see you on the next one fam!