This recipe right here, brings back so many memories of the days when I used to go to wimpy and I would order Fish and chips. Wimpy needs to come back to Kenya, because I am ready to spend my money and time there!! Since at the moment we are mostly staying indoors, this is your chance to recreate as many recipes as possible!
The ingredients to this specific recipe are easy to get and, I am sure you will enjoy each step of this. SOOO, lets goooo!!!
- 500 gm of Fish fillet
- Plain flour (1 cup)
- Beer/ Sparkling water (1 cup)
- 2 tspns of Baking powder
- 1 tspn of honey
- 7 large potatoes
- 100 gm of peas (pre-boiled)
- 1 lemon
- Tartar sauce ( recipe link at the end of the post)
For the Fish:
- In a bowl, add flour, baking powder, beer, honey, salt & pepper. Whisk everything together until you achieve a rather smooth consistency. Set it aside.
- Cut the fish into halves, season it well using salt and pepper on both sides.
- In a plate, add some flour, coat the fish with the flour followed by the batter.
- Let the excess batter drain out off then add the fish into a pan with hot oil.
- Once added, put some of the batter on top of the fish to give it the extra crisp.
- After about 5-6 minutes and the fish has turned golden brown and cooked through, take it out and leave it to rest.
For the mushy peas:
- In a saucepan, add a stick of butter and a teaspoon of olive oil. Then add the peas and let it simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Squeeze half a lemon on the peas and with a fork, mash it to your liking.
For the chips:
- Peel and slice the potatoes length wise (into chips)
- Place the potatoes in a bowl of water to clean them.
- In a pan, on low heat, add the potatoes and let them fry for about 2-3 minutes. This process is called blanching and it will make the chips crispy on the outside and soft on the inside.
- Take them out, let them rest for a minute, increase your heat and add them to finish off cooking.
- Once the fries are done, set them aside as well.
- Prepare the tartar sauce and plate your meal.
Thank you for reading this post, see you on the next one fam!