I’m sure we all enjoy having brunch, which is breakfast and lunch put together. I usually see brunch spots in Nairobi being quite expensive and you know what, it’s just not necessary sometimes. This recipe that I’m about to plug you on costs under Ksh 250 and I’m sure you will keep it on repeat ?.
Shakshuka is a dish of eggs that are poached in a sauce of tomatoes , chili peppers , garlic and onions. It’s usually spiced up with cumin, chilies, paprika , pepper and so on. It comes in handy for brunch as you could serve it with your favorite bread even if it’s toasted ?
Enough stories, let’s get to the recipe .
Serves : 4
Prep time : 10 minutes
Cook time : 18 minutes
What you need :
• 4 eggs
• 5 large tomatoes, de skinned or grated
• 2 onions , chopped
• A bunch of dhania
• 2 cloves of garlic
• 1 teaspoon of cumin
• 1 teaspoon of black pepper
• 1 teaspoon of salt
• 1 teaspoon of paprika
• 1/2 a teaspoon of chilli flakes
1. In a skillet, add 4 tablespoons of olive oil on medium heat and let it heat enough.
2. Add in your onions and chopped dhania stems, followed by cumin, salt and pepper
3. Let the onions sauté for about 2 minutes
4. Add in your garlic, finely diced and let it cook for about 3 minutes
5. Add in your tomatoes, salt and pepper to taste and cover it with a lid. Let it simmer for about 8 minutes
6. Meanwhile, preheat your oven at 180 degrees.
7. Once the tomatoes have simmered, make a well for the eggs and add them to the skillet.
8. Pop them in the oven for about 5 minutes
9. Once they are ready, you are ready to serve. Enjoy your meal ?
Thanks for reading this post !
See you on the next one fam!